Wednesday, February 6, 2008

How to Keep Your Cool in a Down Market

From the February 2008, Money Magazine.

Amid the recent market swings, Mondy asked some top financial minds how they stay calm during the turbulence. - Carolyn Bigda

" I remind myself that to get the market return, you're going to have to lose money every now and then. Even Warren Buffet loses money." - William Bernstein, author , The Four Pillars of Investing

"I don't watch financial TV shows. That's sport not investing. Sure, one game means a lot to the [New England] Patriots, but their lives are season to season. Investors' lives are measured in decades." - John Brennan, CEO, Vanguard

"I watch entertainment television. I probably know a lot more about celebrities than you'd think an economist would. But it keeps the panic down. And panic is the enemy." - Diane Swonk, chief economist, Mesirow Financial

These quotes give a good perspective on long term investing.

No comments: